Sometimes the gerbils get scared, upset, and sometimes they will have mood swings. To overcome all these you need to befriend your pet by meeting their needs and being nice to them. If you do not help them to overcome all those mood swings, they will go unhealthy and have an early death.
Taming your Gerbil pets
The taming of gerbils needs some time. Before you taming your pet, you need to bring a partner just to adjust to the new home and environment. Because If you leave your gerbil alone, they may be stressed and nervous to adjust to the new environment.
- Do not allow your gerbil pet to run around from the outside of the cage till they are tamed by you. When you run behind them to catch them, they may scared of you. So try not to allow them out of the cage till they create a bond with you.
- Sit next to your gerbil pet’s cage just that your pet to get adjusted for your presence.
- Try to interact smoothly and gently with the soft voice. But do not try to interact your gerbil pet when they are asleep. If you awake them to interact, they do not trust you.
- Try to provide them some treat like sunflower or pumpkin seeds. If you provide them their favourite food, they will create a bond with you easily. If your gerbils takes their treat happily from your hand, you can provide them their treat on your open hand. If your gerbil does not hesitate to touch your hand, you can allow your gerbil pet to climb your hand.
- If your gerbil feel comfortable with climbing your hand, try to scratch gently on their sides and back of their head.
- Try to handle your gerbils often to keep them socialized.
Time to tame your Gerbil pet
In the case of the younger gerbils (around 6 to 7 weeks old gerbils pets), it may take 2 weeks to be tamed by you. Because they need to get adjusted with you. But the young gerbils will get adjusted in a short period of time. You need to handle them daily to improve the bond between you and your gerbil pet.
In the case of the older gerbils (more than one and a half to two years old), it make nearly 2 months to be tamed. The older gerbils need more time to get adjusted for you when compared to the younger gerbils. Over time, they should even enjoy being handled.
Why is your Gerbil pet not bonding with you?
The gerbil will not get bonded when they bought into their new environment. They need some time to get adjusted to you and the new environment. Not only you, but they also have to get adjusted even for your smell.
Do not make them irritated by holding them too much even after they got adjusted for you. You need to give them their space to spend some time with themselves and with their partners. Do not provide them what they hate. They will never come to you and you can not create any bond with them.
Why is your Gerbil scared of you?
The size of the gerbil is 4 inches and it is too small when compared to humans. They feel like humans are giant animals. Because of our size, usually, they are scared of humans. The gerbils are scared of humans for the following,
- Sudden Movements: The gerbils are scared because of your sudden movement too. Because, their predators will attack them suddenly. If you put your hands suddenly into their cage, they will get scared of you by thinking you are their predators.
- Rough behaviour with your Gerbil pet: The gerbils are the small creature that need to handle with care. If you behave very rough with them, they will be scared of you. If you squeeze them roughly, or interact with them in the rough voice, or throwing them up and catching them before they fall, all these rough activities makes them to be scared.
- Too much noice: The gerbil pets interact with the ultrasonic frequency. They can hear frequencies between 60 Hz and 100 kHz. But the human voices register between 85 and 255 Hz. So, the gerbils feel too much loud noice than their capability. So, they feel feared with the loud noice. The following noice makes your gerbil to get scared, TV noise, Sound from the radio, talking loudly, the sound produced from the household appliances.
Signs of the scared Gerbils
When the gerbils are scared, they will do some activities which can identify that they are scared. They are as follows,
- It stands on its hind legs with its front paws pressed together
- Hiding away in corners of the cage
- Reduced appetite
- Refusal to accept treats
- Foot drumming
- Frequent vocalizations
- Red tears
Calm your Gerbil pets
You need to calm down your gerbils just by being friendly with them. You need to do the following,
- Soft interaction: Whenever your gerbils get scared, you need to interact with them very softly in a gentle voice. This makes your gerbil pets to get feel that you are their best friend.
- Toys And Accessories: Provide your gerbils with their favorite toys. Those toys will make them be in peace mentally. Their favorite toys include running wheels, tunnels, gerbil balls, chew toys. You also need to provide their necessary accessories to keep them calm and happy.
- Space Burrowing: Gerbils will dig more and more even when they live in captivity. Therefore you need to provide your gerbils with bedding around 6 inches deep. This allows your gerbils to concentrate on creating tunnels and burrow. This tunnels and burrows make your gerbils to get warm and dark to sleep. The gerbils will sleep well in the light. So they need some hiding spots to go during the day when everyone are up.
The gerbils need to calm down whenever they are scared, irritated, and etc. But you have to calm them by providing their favorite kinds of stuff and they need your gentle care. You need to be kind to them whenever they are aggressive, hesitant and etc.