Yes, you can make money breeding chameleons. But, the method of breeding plays a vital role in selling the chameleons. You need to provide them solid husbandry, nutrition, and care well for chameleons.
Do you need a license to sell chameleons?
Yes, of course! You must and should need a license to sell the chameleons. If you sell chameleons without a license, it an offense.
How do you sell chameleons?
Selling chameleons is a business; you need passion to breed chameleons. Printing pamphlets about your chameleon store and distributing them is the old way of business. It may take some time for buyers to know about your store with this method.
- You can plan to sell through advertisements on social media. This can reach several people in your friend’s network.
- Uploading in google about your chameleon pet store will make it much easier for buyers to find your chameleon store.
- Partner with a local/ nearby vet.
Open a pet caretaker
This will probably make you money. A pet taker can be made for chameleons, and you can charge for the day. The caretaker will feed your pet, clean them. They will play with your pet and absorb the behavioral changes in them.
How to make money from selling chameleons
You should know the different species of the chameleons and good knowledge of the chameleon’s behavior for their healthy life. If the chameleons are healthy, more buyers will demand to buy the pets from you.
Which chameleon brings you more profit?
You can make money from male chameleons of any breed because you need to care more for the female chameleons during pregnancy. Those chameleons lay eggs every three to six months, even without mating. You need to take extra care even during that time.
If you do not care for your female chameleon properly in pregnancy, they may face egg binding, which is life-threatening. Male chameleons are strong when compared to the female chameleons. So, male chameleons are more profitable than female chameleons.
How is chameleon worth evaluated?
The chameleon’s cost will be depended on the following:
- The species of the chameleon
- The age of the chameleon
- The place where you bought the chameleon
- The gender of the chameleon
Price range to sell chameleons
You can raise the cost of chameleons depending on the age, species, and place where you sell the chameleons. There are three common species that buyers will demand. They are:
- Panther chameleons
- Jackson’s chameleons
- Veiled chameleons
Let us see the cost of some pet chameleons.
Cost of chameleons based on their size
|Chameleon Species||Chameleon Size||Cost of Chameleon|
|Panther chameleon||16 – 22 inches||$300|
|Veiled chameleon||10 – 22 inches||$50+|
|Jackson’s chameleon||8 – 12 inches||$35+|
|Dwarf Jackson’s chameleon||7 – 8 inches||$75+|
|Ambilobe Panther chameleon||16 – 22 inches||$300+|
|Four-Horned chameleon||10 – 14 inches||$100+|
|Parson’s chameleon||16 – 28 inches||$1,000+|
|Cuban False chameleon||6 – 7 inches||$150|
|Pygmy chameleon||3 – 4 inches||$50+|
|Bearded Pygmy chameleon||3 inches||$50|
|Usambara Pitted Pygmy chameleon||3 inches||$50|
|Carpet chameleon||7 – 8 inches||$200+|
|Ambanja Panther Chameleon||16 – 22 inches||$300+|
|Meller’s chameleon||20 inches||$150+|
|Senegal chameleon||6 – 8 inches||$30+|
|Fischer’s chameleon||8 – 15 inches||$100+|
|Flap-Necked chameleon||8 – 12 inches||$50|
How much do baby chameleons sell for?
You can sell baby chameleons from $20 to $30. The rare translucent Veiled chameleons can be sold for $50.
How do you determine the price of the chameleons?
Selling chameleons is a business. The pricing of the chameleons should include the cost for its breeding and percentage over that for profit.
- The cost for taking care of the chameleons mating until egg-laying. Each clutch should cost the price it took for its maintenance.
- Caring for food, lighting, watering, kind of the cage you used, plant for the chameleon’s cage you used, all these can be included in the price because they are the main reason for the chameleon’s health.
- A percentage of profit depends upon how you took care and how healthy the chameleon is.
- Costs for raising up a clutch can also be included in their price.
- Price the babies at a level that pays for their care and allows you to upgrade your facility.
Making money with the chameleon’s accessories
Yes, you can also make money apart from chameleons, but related to them. As usual, chameleon buyers also search for its belongings like a cage, food, plants, etc. So, you can also sell their belongings.
Cost of Accessories of the Chameleons
|Enclosure||$60 to $300|
|Watering||$8 to $130|
|Plants & Vines||$120|
|Food||$3 to $25|
|Live Food Enclosure||$10 to $20|
|Digital Thermometer||$8 to $30|